Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Kodachrome Sound Film

  1. #1
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Aha, now i have you attention can anyone help me with a question i have

    Ive been told by people that Kodak no longer make sound film because of health issues but will they still process it? Ive got a roll of kodachrome 40 sound film thats out of date but i want to run through the camera to make sure it works but if i cant get it processed in the UK i'll save it and get a new silent one.

    thanks

    ------------------
    Jim

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Mikko's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 4th, 2000
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes they still process it. Just send it to the same address as silent ones.
    What health issues? I thought economical...

    Mikko

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MovieStuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2001
    Posts
    847
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, all.

    The dye transfer process used in processing K40 is extremely toxic and nasty, compared to processing Ektachrome, which can be done in a kitchen sink. Kodak makes the chemicals and hardware for processing K40 and would like nothing better than to find a replacement without so many EPA headhaches. The only problem is that people love Kodachrome, so Kodak is really stuck.

    There is another issue that has nothing to do with Kodachrome. I've read several articles that the feds are requiring Kodak to switch over to polyester based films in the near future. Apparently, manufacturing isn't the issue, but rather disposal. For some reason, and I am not a chemist, so I don't really understand, polyester is less toxic when it is disposed of than their current base. Sounds like a case of "pick your poison" to me. I can't imagine there is that huge a difference between disposing of one man made plastic over another.

    Anyway, that's what I hear. Better start buying up tape splicers!

    Roger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •